Thursday, April 28, 2011

Love Story

Almost two years ago I entered my sister Melissa and John in to win a dream wedding thru a radio contest.  I am sure you all are rolling yours eyes remembering the roller coaster of a contest that was.  I think I could have worked for an election committee after that. I harassed people on facebook, stood on street corners on my home town with signs, passed out fliers at my friends family parties, painted cars and even made tshirts to wear to the Rascal Flatts concert. We lost, they called us back said the others were cheating, they had interviews and they lost again...heart break. 

Anyways, I have always joked about how Melissa owes me when its my turn to get married and folks the gauntlet has been thrown down by my big sister.  I posted a link to her page the other day telling her she had four days to enter me in to win a free dress. http://networkedblogs.com/h74zf 
Again, half way joking. Tonight she sent me a copy of the letter she wrote.  It was so beautiful that I had to share it with you. 
*WARNING TEAR JERKER*
( How is that warning for you Pamie and Liz???)

My sister Deanna and her fiance Kevin have been together since 2007.  They met at a local pub and it was love at first sight.  She knew, immediately, that this was the man she was going to spend the rest of her life with.  I didn’t know the moment they started dating, but it wasn’t long after.  Deanna had to have surgery and when I saw how Kevin refused to leave her side while in the hospital, or even at home while in recovery, I knew that he was the one she would spend the rest of her life with. 
Deanna and Kevin take care of everyone around them.  They are both so kind and always thinking of other people before themselves.  They are two of the most loyal friends someone could ask for.  They would both drop anything at anytime, day or night, to help out not only friends and family, but anyone that is need of ANYTHING.  If you need a ride to the airport, a birthing coach, someone to help you carry a couch up a couple flights of stairs, a shoulder to cry on, someone to sit and share a smile with, a pep talk or just someone to listen to you no matter what is going on in their own lives, these are the two people you can count on.
It’s amazing that my sister Deanna was able to find someone that is just as giving as she is.  She has always been such a selfless person, always giving to others and thinking about herself last.  She’s been this way since we were kids.  She would volunteer at the local recreation center every summer as a camp councilor instead of enjoying her days at the beach with friends.  When she graduated from college she decided to take a job at a nonprofit organization (even though it meant less in pay) so she could continue to give back to the community.  She encourages the kids she works with on a daily basis to believe in themselves and to have goals.  She inspires them.  She has assisted many of the teens she has worked with applying for scholarships to college, admissions letters etc. Both she and Kevin volunteer nights at a homework support club.  She’s even decided to have their wedding ceremony at a local church (instead of our family’s church the next town over) so “her kids” could come.   
Not only has she always been selfless, but Deanna has always been a hopeless romantic.  From the time we were kids she knew she wanted the fairy tale.  She always envisioned her future husband to be asking our father for her hand in marriage, her dream proposal moment in Disney World in front of Cinderella’s castle with the fireworks in the sky while she said yes.  She’s always known she wanted to have her wedding at Brooksby Farm in the fall with the New England foliage as a breathtaking backdrop to her beautiful day. I always told her I thought her expectations were too high.  “Be realistic” I told her. There was no man that could live up to all of her expectations.  Obviously I had no idea that there was a Kevin out there just waiting for her. 
Kevin made her first wish a reality when he asked my father for her hand in marriage right before he died.  It was one of the last conversations anyone would ever have with him.  I think my father was able to go peacefully knowing his youngest daughter, his baby, would be well taken care of.  Kevin made her next wish come true in November.  Not only did he pull off her dream surprise proposal on a trip to Disney World, but had secretly booked a tour of her dream reception site, Brooksby Farm, for the day they returned from their trip. 
After seeing how much my sister gives to others it’s so wonderful to know she has a man that would give her the world if he could.  There is nothing he wouldn’t do for her and vice versa.  I admire the strengths that they both have individually, but I am in awe of their strength as a couple.  They are one of those rare couples that are not only head over heels in love with each other, but they truly are each other’s best friends and they make an amazing team.   
With Kevin, my sister has found her Prince Charming.  I would love for her to have her fairy tale wedding gown and I’m hoping you’ll consider being her fairy godmother.

If nothing comes out of this contest, I at least have the most beautiful Love Story written out by one of the most amazing people in my life.  I love you Waka!!!

5 comments:

  1. You know my kids think Im crazy cause every time I go on the computer I cry! I cry because every word Mel wrote is true! I am honored to have someone like you in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle Donisi AlfordApril 28, 2011 at 9:22 AM

    OMG... That was Beautiful Melissa & your right Deanna, what a letter from the heart to cherish FOREVER!!! I am so happy for you guys, youare going to be a beautiful bride... Hus & KISSES!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story.. and so true! Love you DEE! You will be a stunning bride (just as beautiful outside as you are inside!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crying at work. And I just put mascara on damnit! :) Seriously though, every word of this is true. Mel, you wrote this so beautifully. Dee, you deserve the world. Without a doubt, easily, one of the most selfless people I've ever met. I'm so glad you've found your prince Kevin :) I hope you win your dress! From reading this, I'd say you have a great chance at it!!

    -Lindsey (neighbor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So have definite waterworks going on over here.. Mel that was beautiful! And everything that was written is SO TRUE!!! Dee, you are a selfless amazing person and I'm honored and lucky to call you one of my best friends<3 I couldn't be any happier for you and kev<3 I"m so happy you found your prince and happily ever after<3 you are so deserving of it all! Love you and Kev! xoxo

    ReplyDelete