Sunday, February 13, 2011

"I don't mean to be morbid..."

I love my mother.  I really do.  However, there are things that come out of her mouth that I just wish she would think about before the words leave her mouth.  Just take a second, think it over than speak.  I don't know if anyone else has a mother like this but I do.  I feel like I was the only kid that had to go in to school the next day after teacher conferences and apologize for my mother's behavior just so I could smooth things over.  Ms. Briggs (one of my favorite teachers of all time) used to ask if my mother was coming in so she could mentally prepare for their conference.  There are so many "Nancyism" that I could make a whole website based on the things that leave her mouth.  "Shit that Nancy says" I think would have worked so much more "Shit my dad says"
    Things brings me to our tasting.  We had a tasting at Affairs Catering (25 years of service based out of Rowley Country Club) this evening.  After countless emails between Mitch and I, I ask my mother if she has any questions about the company.  Now earlier this week I made sure to send her the fake contract w/ prices, menus, FAQ sheet from the company.  I felt strongly that I had done my work to impress her with who detailed I was.  She didn't even bat and I when she took out her sheet of paper with 20 questions on it.  I was okay with her asking questions until she broke out the mother of all questions...

"Well Mitch I don't mean to be morbid or anything but what happens if something were to happen to you?"  I met Meri's eyes across the table and I had to look away. So I turned to Kevin for a glimmer of hope that she really didn't say that and his stuck open. I immediately look at Mitch who is in his 60's with a face that I hoped said "please forgive her."  I tried to be smooth and jump in so Mitch wouldn't have to feel like talking about his own death. "I think what my mother is trying to say if something happened with the company or you would we loose money?"  Mitch laughed off the situation and moved on, thankfully.  But I was still in shock that she went as far as to ask if the guy kicks the bucket would we loose everything.

Overall, great tasting.  Bad questions. 

*SIDE NOTE*
Long story short (too late) the food was really fantastic and I liked the guy.  He did talk for a very VERY Long time and were there for almost three hours!  He knew what he was talking about and listened very closely to what I hadasked him to prepare.  He seems the most reasonable priced one so far.    If his company ended up being our catering company, I would not be sad about it. 

Now lets see what kind of numbers he call pull off

*If you have a story about your mother and your wedding please, forward them along to me. 




Overall, great tasting.  Bad questions. 

6 comments:

  1. i know i'm a big nancy fan...but haha i love it! hey someone has to cover all the bases!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know i'm a big nancy fan...but haha i love it! hey someone has to cover all the bases!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... Well I told my mom I wanted a simple wedding.. A backyard wedding, BBQ style and cupcakes..
    24 hours later my mother calls me to tell me we have an appt for the Botanical Gardens for the reception, then a tasting at Jacques for the catering, and that someone she knows who bakes cakes is designing a 5 tier cake..
    I cancelled the wedding after that LOL But I eventually got what I wanted..

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother & I were in a meeting with the photographer we ending up booking....she mentioned another photographer that we saw online. photographer says "Oh yes" mother "Do you know her?" photogrpaher: "Yes, she's my ex-wife" mother "Oh my god, Michael! Im so sorry! Did you have children?" meeting continues and right before we leave. Mother: "Michael, I have something to tell you. We have an appointment to see your ex wife on thursday. dont tell her we booked you please i'll feel so bad!" michael "dont worry i wont say anything, just cancel your appt with her" mother "OK i'll just tell her we'll call her back and then never call her!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg Rita I feel so much better about my mother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I had many mother of the bride stories but the worst was when I went to the running of the brides with some friends. I told my mom ahead of time and asked her to come but she wasn't really interested. So I took my friends and tried to find something I could use and perhaps take to a designer to embellish more - it would still be cheaper than a full price dress. So I narrowed it to 2 and called my mom to have her come immediately and see them so I could make a decision. I waited for my dad to drive her to boston and she comes in with a look of horror on her face and says "These dresses are all disgusting!!" -meanwhile plenty of brides are all around trying on dresses and she just waltzes in and offends everyone, not to mention yours truly. Well I'm sorry mom if I'm not a snob and don't need an expensive gown for my wedding! So I choose one without her blessing (she wouldn't say anything nice about either dress) and then we both went home crying. The problem was that she wanted me to value her opinion (she told me that I could do much better) but I wanted her to value mine without acting like a complete snob and rude! We ended up trying to forget about it and went to another dress shop later where I got the perfect dress and she got to have her whole "mother of the bride" experience that she always wanted. The other dress I bought - I tried to sell it on craigslist but then gave up and donated it to salvation army.

    ReplyDelete